All Belmont University faculty, staff and students proposing to conduct federally protected research involving human participants must submit an application for IRB review and receive approval from the IRB before beginning any research. The Mentor online application portal should be used to submit all IRB applications (exempt, expedited, and full). The online application portal can be accessed at https://www.axiommentor.com/login/axlogin.cfm?i=belmont
(The institution ID is belmont and you will use your MyBelmont credentials to access the system.)
- The Belmont University IRB, in conformity with federal regulations, requires principal investigators, including student researchers, to undergo training in the ethics of research involving human subjects. The NIH training for the protection of human subjects is free and online at https://phrp.nihtraining.com/users/login.php. After successful completion of the training, faculty and students must upload their “IRB Human Subjects Training Certificate” into the Mentor system. The review of applications will be delayed if this training is not completed prior to the submission of the IRB application.
- Additionally, faculty advisors must indicate approval of students’ applications in the mentor system before the review process can begin.
Deadlines for submission depend on the level of review. Exempt and expedited applications are reviewed on a rolling basis (first come, first serve). See below for fall and spring deadlines. Exempt and expedited applications are assigned for review to individual IRB members and final approval is made by the IRB committee chair.
Exempt applications will be reviewed during summer terms. Applications will not be reviewed during scheduled breaks.
Our goal is to get exempt applications reviewed within two weeks of submission and expedited applications reviewed within three weeks of submission.
Applications for full review are due three weeks before the next scheduled convened IRB Committee meeting, as shown in the schedule below. See below for fall and spring deadlines. Full applications are reviewed and voted on by the entire Belmont IRB Committee. Therefore, the process to get a full application reviewed could take approximately four weeks. Please plan accordingly.
If faculty think that they will be submitting an application that requires full review, it would be helpful to send an email to email@example.com to alert us that a full application is in the process of being completed so that we can assist you in a timely review.
Spring 2017 review Deadlines
- There is no deadline for exempt applications in the spring because exempt applications are also reviewed during June and July.
- All expedited applications submitted on Mentor by May 3, 2017 will be reviewed in the spring.
- If you anticipate a need to submit an expedited application between May 3 and May 31, please contact Sally Barton-Arwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are no expedited reviews during the summer.
- All full applications submitted on Mentor by April 21, 2017 will be reviewed in the spring.
- There are no full reviews during the summer.
|Full Applications due on Mentor by||IRB Meeting Date/Time||IRB Committee Location|
|Friday, Jan. 6||Friday, Jan. 27, 2017 2 – 3 p.m.||JAAC 2090|
|Friday, Feb. 3||Friday, Feb. 24, 2017 2 – 3 p.m.||JAAC 2090|
|Friday, March 3||Friday, March 24, 2017 2 – 3 p.m.||JAAC 2090|
|Friday, March 31||Friday, April 21, 2017 2 – 3 p.m.||JAAC 2090|
|Friday, April 28||Friday, May 19, 2017 2 – 3 p.m.||JAAC 2090|