Skip to main content
Belmont University logo
Students in classroom



Full admission to the M.A. in Mental Health Counseling program requires completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

Undergraduate students interested in admission to the program may apply for provisional admission to the program after completion of ninety-six undergraduate credit hours or 75% or their respective program.

Full admission will be granted only after transcripts confirming successful completion of the bachelor’s program are received. To be considered for admission to the M.A. in Mental Health Counseling program, the applicant must:

  • Submit an application including an essay statement of professional interests and desired outcomes for participation in the program.
  • Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals who are qualified to evaluate the applicant’s potential for successful masters-level graduate work.
  • Interview with the Mental Health Counseling faculty.
  • Submit a complete curriculum vitae and/or professional resume.
  • Submit official transcripts from all prior regionally accredited college-level work.
  • Submit an official GRE score no more than five years old, preferably three years or less.
  • Be proficient in the English language.*
  • Pay the graduate application fee.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The faculty consider applications until classes commence each August and review applications within 1-2 weeks of their full submission. Once the faculty receive all corollary assets of the application, the applicant will receive an email invitation for an interview as the final step of the application process.

*International applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to take either TOEFL or IELTS.
**School counseling students must pass a background check and submit fingerprints prior to admission.

The mental health counseling program will accept up to 21 hours of transfer credits from accredited universities. Students wishing to have courses transferred must contact the program director or associate program director and submit syllabi for those courses under consideration. Transferred courses must meet CACREP accreditation standards as evidenced by course syllabi and be determined to directly replace a course on the Belmont Mental Health Counseling Program degree plan. Courses not meeting CACREP standards will not be accepted into the professional counseling or marriage and family counseling track.