Skip to main content
Belmont University logo

Prospective Student FAQ

Who can study abroad?

BU undergraduate students in good financial, academic and disciplinary standing with a cumulative 2.5 GPA who have completed at least one full-time year on-campus are eligible to study abroad.   

Where can students study abroad?

Over 100 Belmont and Belmont affiliated programs are available on 6 of the 7 continents.  The possibilities are endless! Find a program here

How long is a study abroad program?

The Office of Study Abroad encourages students to consider studying abroad for the fall or spring semester or a full academic year. The shortest study abroad program would be one week over spring break and the longest for a full academic year.  We also have semester, Maymester and Summer programs which vary in length from 3 weeks to 4 months.  The length of time you are able to study abroad is dependent on a variety of factors that include your academic plan, financial resources, and personal goals. 

How much does it cost to study abroad?

Costs vary widely from program to program.  For semester programs, students participating on exchange programs will pay Belmont tuition and the remainder of the costs for housing and other expenses to the host university.  Students on affiliate or direct enroll programs will pay Belmont tuition plus a $3000 program fee or the actual cost of the program whichever is higher.  For short-term Belmont faculty led programs, students will pay a program fee plus the cost of tuition.  For more information about cost, fees and funding click here. 

Can I apply my financial aid and scholarships to study abroad?

You will need to e-mail Student Financial Services, Carina Eudy.  She will be able to tell you if your scholarship will apply to study abroad as well as any financial aid that you receive.

Is there a discounted study abroad tuition rate for short-term programs?  How does it work? 

For the Maymester/Summer- the cost of these short-term programs is the tuition AND a program fee.  A 2/3 discount is applied to the tuition, therefore, for each 3-hour course you will only be charged for 1 hour of credit. 

Can I get academic credit for study abroad?

Yes, all the programs that OSA offers are credit-bearing programs that fulfill major, minor or general education requirements. 

Will the grades from courses taken while abroad be applied to my cumulative GPA?

Yes, all the courses taken on study abroad programs may not be taken on a pass/fail basis and must be taken for a grade that will be factored into the student’s GPA.

Will I have to delay graduation if I study abroad?

No. With careful planning, students can remain on track to graduate in four years even while studying abroad for up to a year. Start planning early, and work closely with academic advisors and OSA to design the best course of study based on your academic needs.

Do I need to speak a foreign language to study abroad?

No, many programs do not require proficiency in a foreign language.  We do offer a variety of programs that have a range of language study opportunities available from one course to taking all your courses in a foreign language. 

Where will I live if I study abroad?

Living arrangements will vary by program.

  • Residence hall. In residence-hall housing abroad, students usually stay in single rooms with shared bathroom, kitchen and living room areas and have more freedom and responsibility than is usual in American residence halls.
  • Host family. Some students prefer homestays, living with host families abroad, which can provide profound insights into a host culture in a way that other living arrangements do not.
  • Apartment. Arranged student apartments may be offered as a living option for some study abroad programs.  This may include having a single or shared bedroom/bathroom, along with sharing a kitchen/common area with one or more students from the U.S. or other countries.  Costs and size of apartment will vary depending on program.

I have decided I would like to study abroad.  Where should I start?

Come to the Office of Study Abroad during Open Advising Hours to meet with a study abroad advisor.  If you are not available during Open Advising Hours, feel free to email Belmont Abroad to set up an individual appointment.