Mission/Immersion Trips 2012
Interested in becoming an Immersion coordinator for the 2013 trips? Apply here!
immersion is Belmont's Spring Break mission trip programs. Every immersion is just that - a chance to be immersed in local culture, in the cares and concerns of local folks, and an intense exposure to what God is doing in all over God's world. To register for an immersion trip please download the registration form and return to the Office of University Ministries.
immersion.2012, March 3-10, 2011
- immersion.border (El Paso, Texas) an immersion trip into an area pressured by unrelenting immigration issues. Experience the U.S./Mexico border life in partnering with a ministry that works to help these people in the midst of unsafe and unsure outcomes.
- immersion.community (Tacoma, WA) an immersion into the life of a L’Arche Community – where some of the community members live with handicaps and some do not.
- immersion.katrina (New Orleans, LA) an immersion into the continued physical, structural, and emotional rebuilding of New Orleans after Katrina. Experience this hard work in the context of community while staying at a communal house during your trip.
- immersion.urban (New York, New York) an immersion into the capital of all urban experiences, Manhattan and surrounding Burroughs, working with diverse folks living in the wide variety of urban contexts-at-risk youth, those living with AIDS/HIV, those struggling for fair and affordable housing.
- immersion.urban (Chicago, IL) an immersion into this midwest urban city focusing on issues facing inner-city kids.
- immersion.urban (Detroit, MI) an immersion into a post economically traumatized city; experiencing a broad range of urban affairs, including health care issues in this urban environment
- immersion.poverty (Washington, D.C.) an immersion into the world of poverty in our nation's capital, experiencing the cares and concerns of the nation's and the world's poor from the perspective of the streets as well as the halls of legislation.
- immersion.rural (Appalachian Mtns, West Virginia) a look into the often-overlooked rural world, specifically the world of the Appalachian mountains and the people who live in them, using the unique bonds of rural community as well as the struggles of rural poverty and land abuse.
- immersion.creation (Cumberland Island, Georgia) a camping experience on remote Cumberland Island National Seashore, Cumberland Island, GA, that involves immersion into the created world through intense camping experiences, service with the National Parks Service, caring for the Park, and deep reflection on the role of Creation in God's work in the world
- immersion.justice (San Francisco, California) an intensive exploration of what justice means in practical contexts, learning from a variety of marginalized communities-legal and illegal immigrants, victims of human trafficking, gay and lesbian, among others-in one of the most socially active cities in our country, San Francisco.
If you have specific questions about immersion.trips, or about outreach programs at Belmont, contact Micah Weedman, Director of Outreach, at Micah.Weedman@Belmont.edu.Download registration form here.