Skip to main content
Belmont University | Belief in Something Greater

University Withdrawal Policy

 It is solely the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from the university.

Students are required to take the following actions to officially withdraw from the university:
  1. Complete the University Withdrawal form.   
  2. Return the completed form to Belmont Central 

Actions that Do Not Constitute an Official Withdrawal:
  • Dropping or withdrawing from all courses through BannerWeb 
  • Never attending classes or discontinue attendance in classes  
  • Contacting an advisor, instructor or any other representative of the university. 
  • Nonpayment for courses 

University Withdrawal Checklist:
  • Check the academic calendar for deadlines to drop or withdraw from courses. 
  • Students (without active account holds) may drop or withdraw from classes through BannerWeb before the deadline. 
  • Communicate with advisor and instructors immediately 
  • Obtain all required administrative office signatures  
  • Contact Student Financial Services to confirm the account balance or financial implications of the university withdrawal. 
  • Campus residents should contact the Office of Residence Life  
  • Student athletes should contact their Athletic Coordinator  
  • Recipients of veteran benefits should contact the VA Education Benefits Counselor  
  • Submit the university withdrawal form to Belmont Central 
  • Review your academic record through BannerWeb 

Academic Record and Grades After Withdrawing from the University:

Students who complete the official withdrawal process prior to the last date of the drop/add period (refer to the academic calendar), will not earn final grades for the effective term. After the university withdrawal deadline, withdrawals are not permitted, and final grades are assigned by the instructors based on the student’s attendance and academic performance in the course.

After the drop/add period, withdrawal grades are recorded on the student’s academic record in accordance with the grading policy in the current academic catalog and withdrawal dates provided on the academic calendar.

Withdrawal Grades:

Students do not earn academic credit for withdrawn course(s). A final grade of withdrawal (W) is assigned during the grade of W period. A grade of W does not count in the grade point average.

During the withdrawal with a grade period, a final grade of withdraw passing (WP) or withdraw failing (WF) is assigned by the instructor based on the student’s attendance, coursework and participation in the class. A final grade of FN is earned when a student exceeds the number of class absences according to the class attendance policy. Withdrawn courses count as attempted but not earned credit hours. Bill hours do not change when a course is withdrawn.

Student's Financial Account After Withdrawing from the University:
Contact the Student Financial Services at 615-460-6403 or email with specific questions about the financial impacts (e.g. student account balance, Return of Title IV funds, removal of federal and institutional aid and tuition refund policy) of a withdrawal from the university. When a student officially withdraws, refund of tuition is governed by the calculated from the first official day of classes. However, additional cancellation fees may be assessed. After the drop/add period ends, fee are nonrefundable (i.e. student fee and course fees). The tuition refund policy only applies to students who officially withdraw from the university within the first five weeks of the fall or spring semester. The refund percentages do not apply to schedule changes (for instance, withdrawal from courses but not the university). Contact Belmont Central at 615-460-5402 with questions about your student account or the tuition refund policy.