Accelerated Second Degree BSN
The Second Degree Accelerated BSN Program is designed exclusively for individuals who have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a different field of study. This program may be completed in 16 months of full-time study.
Applicants are accepted to begin the program during the Fall semester only. Admitted students are required to complete all nursing prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program. The School of Nursing strongly recommends that students do not work while enrolled in the Accelerated BSN program or work only as much as necessary given the demanding curriculum of the program.
The School of Nursing receives applications for admission and all applicant credentials for the accelerated second degree program exclusively through the Nursing Central Application Service (NursingCAS), provided by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) at nursingcas.org. All candidates for the accelerated second degree program must complete their application using NursingCAS, adding appropriate Program Materials as indicated after selecting Belmont University Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN in the Program List.
The application for Fall 2016 admission is available through NursingCAS beginning August 1, 2015 (applicants may start their NursingCAS application before this date, ready to submit after August 1). Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit all application documents no later than January 8, 2016. Applications received by this date will be given priority consideration during the School of Nursing's initial review for admission. Applications submitted after this date will be considered on a rolling basis through May 1, 2016 as space is available. Note that Fall 2015 grades are required if applicable.
1. Create an account for your online application at www.nursingcas.org.
2. Log in to your application and complete all sections as directed.
3. As part of your application, enter all previously completed (and yet to be completed) college courses (you will need a copy of transcripts from all colleges attended to do this).
4. As part of your application (in the Colleges Attended section), download Transcript Request Forms for each college attended to arrange for an official transcript to be sent to NursingCAS.
5. As part of your application, complete all sections in the Program Materials area. Click on each tab at the top of the program page for instructions.
6. Submit your completed application to NursingCAS with the appropriate program designated (priority deadline is January 8, 2016).
7. Wait to hear from Belmont University via email regarding the status of your application. Update your application file as necessary.
Admission CriteriaCandidates are required to meet the following criteria to be considered for admission into the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program:
- The student must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- All nursing prerequisites must be complete by the start of the program.
- The student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in prerequisite courses.
- The student must demonstrate understanding of and commitment to an intensive program.
Applicants who meet this criteria are eligible for consideration, but acceptance is not guaranteed.
Prerequisite InformationThe following prerequisite courses are required for program enrollment:
- General Biology or Microbiology (4 credit hours with lab; online credits not accepted )
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credit hours with lab completed within 3 years of entry into the program; online credits not accepted)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credit hours with lab completed within 3 years of entry into the program; online credits not accepted)
- General Psychology (3 credit hours)
- Life Span Development (3 credit hours)
- Abnormal Psychology (3 credit hours)
- Nutrition (3 credit hours)
- Advanced Math course (3 credit hours; courses at a remedial or intermediate level are not accepted)
- Religion Prerequisite Options (6 credit hours)
- Option A – An Old Testament Bible course (3 credit hours) and a New Testament Bible course (3 credits)*
- Option B – A Bible course which includes study of both the Old Testament and New Testament (3 credit hours) and a comparative Religion course (3 credit hours)*
Applicants who are accepted to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program must confirm their attendance by submitting a non-refundable enrollment deposit as instructed.
Financial Aid Information
Second degree candidates are eligible to apply for Federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students. Eligibility for these loans is determined by information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applicants must submit the FAFSA by March 1 to receive an award letter before the program's enrollment confirmation deadline. Specific questions about financial aid and how aid eligibility differs for second degree candidates is available through Student Financial Services.
Program of Study
If you would like to receive more information about the Accelerated Second Degree BSN Program, please join us for an Accelerated Information Session. These information sessions are held during the Fall semester. Check back later for Fall 2015 dates!
In the meantime, Belmont’s School of Nursing offers general information sessions every day at 11:00am. To reserve your space, please visit Belmont University’s Campus Visit Webpage. Here you may also sign up for a Campus Tour, Admissions Session, and lunch on campus.
Please note: Accelerated Information Sessions are designed exclusively for second Bachelor degree-seeking students.