Accelerated Second Degree BSN
The Second Degree Accelerated BSN Program is designed exclusively for individuals who have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a different field of study. This program may be completed in 16 months of full-time study.
Applicants are accepted to begin the program during the Fall semester only. Admitted students are required to complete all nursing prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program. The School of Nursing strongly recommends that students do not work while enrolled in the Accelerated BSN program or work only as much as necessary given the demanding curriculum of the program.
Admission to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program is available for Fall entry only. Candidates may submit Belmont University's undergraduate transfer application for Fall 2015 as early as August 1, 2014. Note that Fall 2014 grades are required if applicable. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit all application documents no later than January 23, 2015. Applications received by this date will be given priority consideration during the School of Nursing's initial review for admission, which will occur in early February. Applications submitted after January 23rd will be considered on a rolling basis through May 1, 2015 as space is available. If you have questions about completing your application, please contact your Admissions Counselor in the Office of Admissions.
Candidates are required to meet the following criteria to be considered for admission into the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program:
- The student must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- All nursing prerequisites must be complete by the start of the program.
- The student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in core math and science courses.
- The student must demonstrate understanding of and commitment to an intensive program.
Applicants who meet this criteria are eligbile for consideration, but acceptance is not guaranteed.
The following prerequisite courses are required for program enrollment:
- General Biology or Microbiology (4 credit hours with lab; online credits not accepted )
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credit hours with lab completed within 3 years of entry into the program; online credits not accepted)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credit hours with lab completed within 3 years of entry into the program; online credits not accepted)
- General Psychology (3 credit hours)
- Life Span Development (3 credit hours)
- Abnormal Psychology (3 credit hours)
- Nutrition (3 credit hours)
- Advanced Math course (3 credit hours; courses at a remedial or intermediate level are not accepted)
- Religion Prerequisite Options (6 credit hours)
- Option A – An Old Testament Bible course (3 credit hours) and a New Testament Bible course (3 credits)*
- Option B – A Bible course which includes study of both the Old Testament and New Testament (3 credit hours) and a comparative Religion course (3 credit hours)*
Applicants who are accepted to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program must confirm their attendance by submitting an enrollment confirmation form and non-refundable enrollment deposit no later than April 10, 2015.
Financial Aid Information
Second degree candidates are eligible to apply for Federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students. Eligibility for these loans is determined by information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applicants must submit the FAFSA by March 1 to receive an award letter before the program's enrollment confirmation deadline. Specific questions about financial aid and how aid eligibility differs for second degree candidates is available through Student Financial Services.
Program of Study
Accelerated BSN Program of Study (PDF)
If you would like to receive more information about the Accelerated Second Degree BSN Program, please join us for an Accelerated Information Session. We will be offering Information Sessions on the following dates:
- Monday, September 15, 2014 at 6:00pm
- Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 5:00pm
- Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 10:00am
Each session will include detailed information about the program and the admissions process, followed by a brief tour of our Nursing facilities. To sign up for an Accelerated Information Session, please click here. If you would like to join us for an optional Campus Tour 30 minutes prior to the Nursing session, please indicate this on your visit request form next to the "Take a Campus Tour" option.
Please note: Accelerated Information Sessions are designed exclusively for second Bachelor degree-seeking students.