Accelerated Second Degree BSN
The Second Degree Accelerated BSN Program is designed exclusively for individuals who have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a different field of study. This program may be completed in 16 months of full-time study.
Applicants are accepted to begin the program during the Fall semester only. Admitted students are required to complete all nursing prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program. The School of Nursing strongly recommends that students do not work while enrolled in the Accelerated BSN program or work only as much as necessary given the demanding curriculum of the program.
Admission to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program is available for Fall entry only. Applicants should complete the Belmont University undergraduate transfer application and submit all supporting documents by January 24, 2014. Applications submitted by this date will be given priority consideration. Applications submitted after this date will be considered as space is available. Please note that college transcripts should include all coursework completed through the previous Fall semester. If you have any questions about completing your application, please contact your Admissions Counselor in the Office of Admissions.
Students will need to meet the following criteria to be considered for admission into the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program:
- The student must have a prior bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- All nursing prerequisites must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- The student must have a minimum of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in core math and science courses.
- The student must demonstrate understanding of and commitment to an intensive program.
- Admission into the accelerated option will be determined by the Admissions and Progression Committee.
The following prerequisite courses are required for program enrollment:
- General Biology or Microbiology (4 credit hours)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II (4 credit hours each; must be taken within the last 3 years)
- General Psychology (3 credit hours)
- Life Span Development (3 credit hours)
- Abnormal Psychology (3 credit hours)
- Nutrition (3 credit hours)
- Advanced Math course (3 credit hours; courses at a remedial or intermediate level are not accepted)
- Religion Prerequisite Options (6 credit hours)
- Option A – An Old Testament Bible course (3 credit hours) and a New Testament Bible course (3 credits)*
- Option B – A Bible course which includes study of both the Old Testament and New Testament (3 credit hours) and a comparative Religion course (3 credit hours)*
*One of the two religion prerequisite courses may be completed during the program.
Applicants who are accepted to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program must confirm their admission by submitting an Enrollment Confirmation form and non-refundable enrollment deposit no later than April 1.
Financial Aid Information
Second degree candidates are eligible to apply for Federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students. Eligibility for these loans is determined by information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applicants must submit the FAFSA by March 1 to receive an award letter before the program's enrollment confirmation deadline. Specific questions about financial aid and how aid eligibility differs for second degree candidates is available through Student Financial Services.
Program of Study
Accelerated BSN Program of Study (PDF)
If you would like to receive more information about the Accelerated Second Degree BSN Program, please join us for an Accelerated Information Session. We will be offering Information Sessions on the following dates:
- Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 6:00pm
- Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 2:00pm
- Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 5:00pm
Each session will include detailed information about the program and the admissions process, followed by a brief tour of our Nursing facilities. To reserve your space, please register through the Office of Admissions' Events Website. Select "Nursing Accelerated Second Degree Session" under Event Category and complete the registration as directed. If you would like to join us for an optional Campus Tour 30 minutes prior to the Nursing session, please indicate this on your visit request form next to the "Take a Campus Tour" option.
Please note: Accelerated Information Sessions are designed exclusively for second Bachelor degree-seeking students.