Commercial Music Audition
MM in Commercial Music
Requirements for Application Audio Recording
Overview:As a part of the application process for the MM in Commercial Music all applicants must submit a recording of existing repertoire. The repertoire on the recording should match the emphasis area to which the applicant is applying for admission: Performance or Media Composition and Arranging. This recording must be submitted no later than one month before the desired published audition date and approved by the Belmont University School of Music Graduate Admissions prior to scheduling an audition and interview.
Specific requirements for the recording submission are as follows:
- Please submit either a standard
audio CD or an MP3-file.
- Recording must be a minimum of 10 minutes in length and a maximum of 30 minutes.
- If submitting the recording electronically to the School of Music, please email a “High Quality MP3 file” (160kbps at 44.1 kHz sample rate) or a link to a YouTube recording along with a PDF file of the liner notes or other documented information related to the recordings. Please email files to the Graduate Music Secretary.
- If submitting the recording via an audio CD, please mail CD to the Graduate Music Secretary at the following address: Belmont University School of Music, Graduate Music Secretary, 1900 Belmont Blvd. Nashville, TN 37212
- The recording may include full songs/compositions or excerpts in various styles.
- The recording may be a compilation of previously recorded materials specifically prepared for this submission.
- Please provide liner notes or other documentation concerning the recordings. Explain your role in each recording [e.g., arranger, vocalist, producer, date of recording, etc] and the purpose of the recording [commercial CD recording, demo recording, jingle, newly recorded for this submission, etc.].
- The recording should represent your best work. In addition, diversity in genre and/or style is encouraged. Recording must be appropriate to the emphasis area (Performance or Media Composition and Arranging)
Audition Requirements for MM in Commercial Music
All students whose application recording is accepted must come to campus for an audition and interview with the Director of Graduate Studies, the Coordinator of Graduate Commercial Music, and selected commercial faculty members within the applied discipline. Applicants must also demonstrate their musicianship and skills in the field of commercial music as described below:
Performance Emphasis - Live Audition (20-30 minutes)
- Perform 2 to 3 pieces with a basic rhythm
section (Drums, Piano, Bass, and Guitar). The School of Music will provide the
rhythm section for the audition.
- Provide accurate and readable charts and arrangements for the rhythm section.
- Be prepared to coach the rhythm section with minimum rehearsal time.
- Demonstrate the ability to sight-read a
selection provided by the faculty adjudicators.
Instrumentalists should be prepared to perform one piece as a soloist (can be accompanied or unaccompanied).
- Contact the Graduate Music Secretary for more details concerning the live audition, interview, and specific voice, keyboard, or instrument requirements.
Media Composition and Arranging Emphasis
- Submit two or three compositions (printed scores and recordings) different from the pre-audition submissions.
- Interviews with the Director of Graduate Studies and commercial arranging faculty.
- Please note that the Media emphasis focuses primarily on composition and arranging and is not a songwriting program.