Internships, Summer Research, and Study AbroadEvery student should strongly consider having an internship, studying abroad, or participating in a summer research experience during their undergraduate education. Please click on the links above for more information.
- American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- AMS's information for undergraduate mathematics majors
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- MAA's Students page
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- IEEE Computer Society
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- SIAM's Students page
- Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM)
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
Some careers in mathematics and computer science require an advanced degree. Graduate school is also a rewarding way to continue to learn about the subject you love.
One source of information is the annual U.S. News and World Report Graduate School Rankings.
Many of the professional societies also provide information and links about graduate school:
- AMS: Considering Graduate School in the Mathematical Sciences?
- MAA: Is Graduate School for You?
- ACM: Graduate Assistantship Directory
There are a wide range of career options in business, industry, government, and academics available to graduates with a mathematics or computer science career.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics produces regular Occupational Outlook reports. See what they have to say about mathematics and computer science:
- Occupational Outlook for Mathematicians
- Occupational Outlook for Computer and Information Research Scientists
Many of the professional organizations provide career pages, including:
- AMS: Career Services; see especially the Non-Academic Career Information page.
- AMS: Career, Jobs, and Internship links for undergraduates.
- MAA: Mathematics Careers; includes a link to mathematics classifieds.
- ACM: Computing Careers and Career & Job Center
- IEEE: Career and Employment Resources
- SIAM: Careers & Jobs
- AWM: Career Resources
- ASA: Career Center
Actuarial Science is an attractive career path for many. Explore this option at the following links: