Bringing a computer to campus?
Do you need to bring a Personal Computer?
No, but about 95% of our students have a personal computer. Belmont University does not provide personal computers in residential facilities, so students are encouraged to bring their own. Belmont provides high-speed internet connections on campus in all residence life facilities. There are several computer labs on campus students have access to write papers or email. Here is a list of things you'll need to know in order to make sure your personal computer will be compatible with our network. If you plan to use wireless, WIFI is available is all classrooms and most of the public spaces including Beaman, Library, Cafeteria and even the Quad.
Either a PC or Mac will work on our network as long as it is less then 3 years old and up-to-date with security patches and virus protection. The new MacBook is a great computer allowing you to run both Mac and Windows programs, but it is up to you.
- 1 gb of ram(PC)--- recommended 2gb today
- Microsoft Office with Word, Excel and Powerpoint (purchase in our bookstore)
- (Mac) G2 or faster
- (PC) Windows XP or Vista
- (Mac) OS 10
- 3Com Ethernet * card 10baseT connector type **
- CD Burner - DVD burner recommended
- 10baseT 10-20ft computer cable **
- A surge protector for your computer ** Virus Protection Software such as Norton Anti-Virus
- Any accessories you desire, such as speakers, a scanner, printer, etc.
If you have questions or need help with the installation once you arrive on campus, technical assistance will be provided or you can call ext. 6214.
What NOT to Bring:
- A computer that will not support an Ethernet card
- An operating system that is older than those recommended in the list to the left.
- A dial-up modem - Many computers have a dial-up modem built in. This will not interfere with connection to our network, but it will be unnecessary and may use up a considerable amount of memory.
**Ethernet cards, cables and surge protectors are available at Belmont's Bookstore and most retailers.
Network Usage Policies:
- 1. No modification of network wiring or equipment; no Wireless routers
- 2. Commericial use of Belmont's network is prohibited
- 3. Use limited to Belmont work or study purposes
- 4. Student use of network is to comform to the Belmont usage policy as stated in the Student Handbook
- 5. Personal network equipment are prohited