BTV- Campus Cable Television
The Campus Cable TV system is an all-digital system which now includes 78 high-definition channels. In order to take full advantage, please be sure to bring a digital TV with QAM tuner for use on campus. A QAM tuner enables your digital TV to receive digital cable channels directly without a set top box. If you are unsure if your TV has a QAM tuner, please check with your TV's manufacturer. Campus Televideo provides digital TV service to more than 240 campuses across the United States.
How do I Setup my television when I arrive on campus?
All TV’s will require re-tuning, usually via an auto-programming or channel scan feature in the menu of your television, in order to
capture all new channels. Please ensure that the Standard Cable Setting is selected (not Air, Antenna, HRC or IRC). We have found that the auto-programming process can be as swift as 5 minutes, up to 45 minutes depending upon the television being programmed.
Is my Television compatible?
Campus Televideo is an all digital system using QAM technology. QAM is a type of digital signal that is used by cable companies to distribute television and other telecommunication mediums. This change is similar to the 2009 digital TV switchover that was mandatory for OTA (Over The Air) broadcast stations. (Important: QAM signals are different than Over the Air signals. If you buy a digital converter or set top box from a local electronics store, it will most likely NOT work.)
- Analog TV’s or TV’s that are generally more than 5 years old may require the purchase of a digital-to-analog converter box (QAM Tuner noted above) in order to view the new channels since the old analog system is being replaced with a digital signal. The cost of the converter / tuner will be the responsibility of the student. These converter boxes can be purchased through Amazon for the conversion of an older set with an analog tuner.
- Will my TV work with our new system? How can I tell if my TV has a QAM tuner?
- If your television has been manufactured within the last 5 years, there is a good chance that it can receive the QAM signal.
- The easiest way to tell if your model will work is to either:
- Refer to the documentation which came with your television, look for QAM capable
- Google your make and model, look for QAM-capable
Cable TV Access:
All residence halls and on-campus apartments are Cable-ready *, receiving local channels as well as channels like Disney, MTV, Comedy Central, Animal Planet and Nickelodeon.
There is one cable connection per room in the residence halls and one connection per bedroom and living room in the on-campus apartments. The cost of Cable is included in student housing fees. Students may not upgrade their service to include premium channels like HBO or Cinnemax. (see below for a complete list of channels.)
*Students must supply their own HD television sets and connection cables.