M.A. English, Writing Emphasis
As a Writing Emphasis student, you will develop your critical and creative writing skills by taking 12 hours of writing electives--which may include Creative Writing, Composition Theories, Writing in the Genres, Writing and Identity, Writing and Social Issues, and/or any number of special topics courses--built on a foundation of Practical Literary Criticism and two Readings courses.* Our Thesis Research course, taken under the supervision of your faculty mentor, provides you with the specific background to write your thesis. You could then complete a researched creative thesis or a study in ethnography, literacy studies, or composition studies.
- ENG 5000 Practical Literary Criticism (3 hours)
- Two courses of Readings courses from the following (6 hours): 5810, 5820, 5830, 5840
- 12 hours of writing courses
- 3 hours of literature or writing electives
- ENG 6700 - Thesis Research (3 hours)
- ENG 6800 - Thesis Writing (3 hours)
*Students with more than 9 hours of undergraduate survey courses may petition to replace 3 hours of the Readings requirement with 3 hours of electives.