Message from the Chair
On behalf of the faculty, staff, and teacher candidates, welcome to the Department of Education. As part of the Belmont University community, the Department of Education has a long history of preparing students to engage and transform the world with disciplined intelligence, compassion, courage, and faith. This dedication is evident in our departmental theme: Building together for excellence in education. Building together is represented by our belief in the constructivist philosophy. We believe that teaching and learning are active and collaborative processes. Our programs are steeped in excellence as reflected in the application of nationally recognized standards.
The Department of Education offers numerous graduate programs for aspiring teachers and for those interested in the field of education. Our Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program is an initial licensure program designed to prepare teachers for early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school settings. The M.A.T. can be completed on a part-time or full time basis. Additionally we offer a Special Education program at the graduate level.
If you wish to continue your education at a graduate level and are already licensed, consider our Master of Education programs (M.Ed.):
• Teacher Leaders (EDL) is designed to assist teachers build skills and knowledge of leadership for practical application in the workplace.
• Also, within the M.Ed. program structure, teachers can complete add-on endorsements for Reading Specialist or English as a Second Language.
If you wish to pursue a graduate degree but are not interested in teaching or licensure, we have several other exciting M.Ed. options.
• Organizational Leadership and Communication (OLC) is a great program if you are thinking about developing your leadership potential and leadership style.
• Learning and Organizational Change (LOC) is designed to allow our graduate students to construct their own programs that focus on leadership and managing the workplace change process.
• Nonprofit Leadership (NPL) is a M.Ed. program that provides graduate preparation for individuals who are seeking leadership positions in nonprofit organizations.
As you can see, there are many degree and career path options! Our online graduate catalogue provides more detailed information about each of our programs.
If you have additional questions after visiting our site, please feel free to contact us. Once again, welcome!
Chair, Department of Education