College of Arts and Sciences
Bryce Sullivan, Dean
The College of Arts and Sciences strives to be a college in which students gain the knowledge, skills, and spirit to be lifelong learners and compassionate citizens of local and global communities. As a faculty, we seek to achieve this vision by remaining lifelong learners ourselves, who pursue meaningful research, creative endeavors, service to campus and community, and the scholarship of teaching.
To be a community where students, faculty, and staff cultivate knowledge, skills, imagination, and moral vision to serve as foundations for contributing to a diverse world.
Recognizing the centrality of the liberal arts in preparing women and men to make significant contributions locally and globally, the college is committed to providing rigorous and intellectually stimulating academic experiences for all its students. Specifically, we seek
- To provide intellectually fulfilling undergraduate major programs which prepare students for professional careers or advanced study.
- To maintain and develop effective graduate programs which meet high standards and serve local and regional needs.
- To provide comprehensive and challenging courses for Belmont's General Education and University College programs.
- To provide, in the School of Education, teacher preparation that draws on the full resources of the college and serves the needs of professional education.
- To foster innovation and effectiveness in teaching and learning.
- To cultivate an enduring habit of ethical reflection and practice.
The College of Arts and Sciences is composed of the following schools:
School of Education
Department of Education
Department of Sport Science
School of Humanities
Department of English
Department of Foreign Languages
Department of Philosophy
School of Sciences
Department of Biology
Department of Chemistry and Physics
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Department of Psychology
School of Social Sciences
Department of Communication Studies
Department of History
Department of Media Studies
Department of Political Science
Department of Sociology