Dr. Charles Wainright
Dr. Charles Wainright
Associate Professor of Management, Healthcare Administration
Email: Dr. Charles Wainright
EDUCATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Administration - Health Services
- M.H.A. - Baylor University, Health Administration
- B.S. - University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Psychology
- Lean Healthcare Certification Program, May 4-9, 2009, 2009
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE), 617365, 1995, 2006, 2009
- Certified Healthcare Executive (CHE), 617365, 1991
- Executive Officer, Operations Office, Intelligence Officer, Platoon Leader, U.S. Army Medical Department
- Consultant, Health Care Administration & Operations Officer, 7th Medical Command, Heidelberg Germany
- Churchman, R., York, S., Woodard, B., Wainright, C. F., & RauFoster, M. (2013). Revisiting Perceptions of Quality of Hospice Care: Managing for the Ultimate Referral. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 1-6.
- York, G. S., Schenkel, M., & Wainright, C. (2013). Hospice Practices, Perceived Satisfaction, and Entrepreneurial Opportunities: Strategic Insights across Geographic Settings. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 18 (1), 51-75.
- Wainright, C., York, S., & Woodard, B. (2012). A Transformative Framework for Improving Healthcare Management Education. Journal of Health Administration Education, 29 (1), 1-32.
- York, S., Churchman, R., Woodard, B., Wainright, C., & Rau-Foster, M. (2012). Free-Text Comments: Understanding the Value in Family Member Descritpions of Hospice Caregiver Relationships. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 29 (2), 98-105.
SELECTED AWARDS & HONORS
- 2nd Place poster Award for the AUPHA Annual meeting (2007) Association of University Programs in Health Administration (2007)
- 1st Place Poster Award for the AUPHA Annual meeting (2004) Association of University Programs in Health Administration (2004)
- Award for excellence in teaching from the Dean, Graduate Studies & Research, Western Kentucky University, 2002 Excellence in Teaching Award, Graduate Studies, Western Kentucky University (2002)
- Honored by being selected as the Strategic Management & Planning Consultant for the Office of the Surgeon General, US Army Medical Department Center & School (1999-2001). Strategic Management & Planning Consultant for the Surgeon General - US Army Medical Department (2001)
Dr. Charles F. Wainright begins teaching at Belmont University in the Fall of 2008. He obtained his B.S. from the University of Alabama, M.H.A. from Baylor University, and Ph.D. in Administration-Health Services (Strategic Management) from the University of Alabama. He has expanded on his education by earning the Certified Healthcare Executive (CHE) designation and becoming a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE).
Before entering the teaching field, Dr. Wainright obtained health services work experiences of increasing responsibility within the U.S. Army Medical Department. He was a consultant in Heidelberg, Germany, a Program Administrator/Executive Operations Officer and Executive Director in San Antonio, Texas.
Dr. Wainright has taught a variety of healthcare management courses at the graduate level at Baylor University and Western Kentucky University. He also taught advanced skills seminars for the U.S. Army.
His research agenda includes Human Resource Management for Healthcare Managers, Strategic Leadership and Management for Healthcare Executives, Bioterrorism & Healthcare Preparedness, Executive Skills and Educational Leadership, Physician Practice Pattern Variation, and Health Policy Reform Issues. His work has been published in the Journal of Rural Health, American Journal of Infection Control, Journal of the American Association of Medical Administrators, and others.
A member of the American College of Healthcare Executives, Academy of Management, and American Academy of Medical Administrators, Dr. Wainright has served his profession as a member of the Editorial Advisory Board for the Certified Professional Utilization Management and Review Manuals. He also serves his community as a certified youth basketball coach and held various offices in his homeowners association.
Dr. Wainright has also achieved first and second place awards in poster competitions conducted by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration. He also received an Excellence in Teaching Award, Graduate Studies, while at Western Kentucky University.