Dr. Haskell Murray
Dr. Haskell Murray
Assistant Professor of Management and Business Law
Email: Dr. Haskell Murray
- J.D. – Georgia State University College of Law
- B.A. – Rhodes College (Business Administration)
- International Commercial Arbitration Certificate at Johannes Kepler Universität
- Advanced Negotiation Certificate, Harvard Negotiation Institute at Harvard Law School
- Corporate Attorney – Weil, Gotshal, & Manges (New York, NY)
- Corporate Attorney – King & Spalding (Atlanta, GA)
- Judicial Clerk – Delaware Court of Chancery (Wilmington, DE)
- Social Enterprise Innovation: Delaware's Public Benefit Corporations, 4 Harvard Business Law Review 201 (forthcoming 2014).
- Defending Patagonia: Mergers & Acquisitions with Benefit Corporations, 9 Hastings Bus. L. J. 485 (2013) (invited symposium article).
- Choose Your Own Master: Social Enterprise, Certifications and Benefit Corporation Statutes, 2 Am. U. Bus. L. Rev. 1 (2012) (invited symposium article).
- Purpose with Profit: Governance, Enforcement, Capital-Raising and Capital-Locking in Low-Profit Limited Liability Companies, (co-author) 66 U. Miami L. Rev. 1 (2011).
- "Latchkey Corporations": Fiduciary Duties in Wholly Owned, Financially Troubled Subsidiaries, 36 Del. J. Corp. L. 577 (2011).
- An Analysis of Actions Brought Pursuant to DGCL 220 When Discovery is Stayed Pursuant to the PSLRA, 1740 Practicing Law Institute/Corporate 55 (2009).
- Annual Survey of Georgia Business Associations, (co-author) 59 Mercer L. Rev. 35 (2007).
- Note on the Georgia Residential Mortgage Fraud Act, 22 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 49 (2005).
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) (presenter), Seattle, WA, August 5, 2014
- University of St. Thomas-MN, (presenter), Minneapolis, MN, April 24, 2014
- Western Carolina University, (presenter), Cullowhee, NC, March 3, 2014
- Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business Conference (SEALSB) (presenter), Tampa, FL, November 8, 2013
- Southeastern Law Scholars Conference (SELS) (presenter), Charleston, SC, October 5, 2013
- University of Colorado (Boulder) and Kauffman Foundation Conference on Crowdfunding (presenter and panelist), Boulder, CO, July 13, 2013
- Law & Society Annual Meeting, (presenter and panelist), Boston, MA, May 31, 2013
- The Association of American Law Schools (AALS), (presenter), New Orleans, LA, January 5, 2013
- American Bar Association (Corporate Governance), (presenter), Washington, D. C., November 16, 2012
- University of California (Hastings) College of the Law, (keynote speaker), San Fransisco, CA. October 19, 2012
- American Bar Association (LLC Institute), (panelist), October 18, 2012
- Southeastern Law Scholars Conference (SELS), (presenter), Charleston, SC, September 22, 2012
- Southeastern Association of Law Schools (SEALS New Scholar), (presenter), Amelia Island, FL, August 3, 2012
- American University Washington College of Law, (presenter and panelist), Washington, D. C., April 18, 2012
- Southeastern Law Scholars Conference (SELS), (presenter), Charleston, SC, October 29, 2011
Professor Murray teaches business law and alternative dispute resolution courses. Currently, his research focuses on corporate governance and social enterprise law issues.
Professor Murray received his B.A. in Business Administration from Rhodes College where he concentrated his studies in Finance and International Business, while also earning four varsity letters in football. He received his J.D., on scholarship, from Georgia State University College of Law where he was elected to the editorial board of the school’s main law review, graduated second in his class, was a Bleckley Inn of Court Pupil, and received “high distinction” for his pro bono work.
Before entering academia, Professor Murray clerked on the Delaware Court of Chancery and practiced corporate law at two large law firms with international presence: King & Spalding (Atlanta, GA) and Weil, Gotshal & Manges (New York, NY). Prior to joining Belmont University’s faculty, Professor Murray taught as a Visiting Assistant Professor at Georgia State University College of Law and as an Assistant Professor at Regent University School of Law. Professor Murray and his wife (Katie) are active members of Christ Presbyterian Church in Nashville.