Dr. Jeff Cornwall
Dr. Jeff Cornwall
Jack C. Massey Chair in Entrepreneurship
Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship
Professor of Entrepreneurship
Email: Dr. Jeff Cornwall
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- D.B.A. - University of Kentucky, Management and Organization
- M.B.A. - University of Kentucky, Finance
- B.S. - University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, Business Administration
- Jack C. Massey Chair in Entrepreneurship, Director Center for Entrepreneurship, Professor, Belmont University
- Sandra Schulze Chair in Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Department Chair, Professor, University of St. Thomas
- Associate Professor, Co-Director Center of Entrepreneurship, University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
- Instructor, University of Kentucky
- President/CEO and Co-founder, Atlantic Behavioral Health Systems (June, 1988 - August, 1997). Company began as a series of start-up ventures that were merged into this holding company. Responsible for overall executive management of the company. Business operated a full continuum of behavioral health programs, including outpatient clinics, community based services, and residential facilities throughout North Carolina. Grew from seven to over 300
employees. Revenues over $12 million. Raised over $5 million in debt and equity financing to fund growth. Negotiated successful sale of majority of business holdings in 1996, remainder of business sold in 1998.
- Cornwall, J.R. and Dennis, Jr., W.J. (2012) "Peeling the onion: Public Policy in Entrepreneurship Education." Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, 1(1).
- Schenkel, M., Cornwall, J. & Finley, J. (2012). "Snappy Auction." Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 36(3).
- Schenkel, M. Cornwall, J. & Finley, J. (2012). "Teaching Note: Snappy Auction." Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 36(3).
- Lambert, R.P., Alexander, J.F., Schenkel, M.T. & Cornwall, J.R. (2011. "Evans Glass Company: 'You make the coffee, we'll bring the cup!'" Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship, 23(1), 122-140.
- Morris, M. H., van Vuuren, J., Cornwall, J. R. , & Scheepers, R. (2009). Properties of balance: A pendulum effect in corporate entrepreneurship. Business Horizons, 52 (5), 429-440.
- Naughton, M. J. & Cornwall, J. R. (2009). Culture as the Basis of The Good Entrepreneur. Journal of Religion and Business Ethics.
- Cornwall, J. R. (2009). Bootstrapping. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall .
- Cornwall, J. R., Vang, D.O., & Hartman, J. M. (2009). Entrepreneurial Financial Management, 3e, Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharp (Translated into Dutch).
- Cornwall, J. R. & Naughton, M. (2008). Bringing Your Business to Life, Ventura, CA: Regal (translated into Hungarian).
- Cornwall, J. R. (2003). From the Ground Up: Entrepreneurial School Leadership, Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press.
- Brown, R. J. & Cornwall, J. R. (2000). The Entrepreneurial Educator, Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press.
- Cornwall, J. R. & Perlman, B. (1990). Organizational Entrepreneurship, Boston, MA: Irwin (McGraw-Hill).
Dr. Jeff Cornwall is the Jack C. Massey Chair in Entrepreneurship at Belmont University. Previously, he was the Sandra Schulze Chair in Entrepreneurship at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota, and on the faculty at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and the University of Kentucky.
Dr. Cornwall earned a D.B.A and a M.B.A . from the University of Kentucky, and a B.S. from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. In the late 1980s, he left academics to become the Co-founder and President/CEO of Atlantic Behavioral Health Systems, headquartered in Raleigh, NC. His company operated a variety of health care facilities and programs and employed over 300 people. After nine years of rapid growth, and negotiating the sale of most of the corporations' business interests, he returned to academics.
Dr. Cornwall advises alumni of the entrepreneurship program on start-up and growth related issues.
His current research and teaching interests include entrepreneurial finance and entrepreneurial ethics. He authored or co-authored six books, Bringing Your Business to Life, Bootstrapping, Organizational Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Financial Management, The Entrepreneurial Educator, and From the Ground Up: Entrepreneurial School Leadership. In addition to teaching and research, Dr. Cornwall advises E-Club and Collegiate DECA, both of which serve the interests of entrepreneurs across campus.
In 2006, Dr. Cornwall was named a Fellow of the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE). In 2008, Belmont University's Center for Entrepreneurship received the USASBE National Model Undergraduate Program of the Year Award. He served as President of USASBE in 2010.
His blog, The Entrepreneurial Mind, is one of the most popular small business blogs on the web. It was named by Forbes as a "Best of the Web" and is part of the Forbes blog network. His blog syndicated by the Christian Science Monitor and Business Insider. It is also linked to by Entrepreneur, Inc., and US News and World Report.