Dr. Colin Cannonier
Assistant Professor of Economics
E-mail: Dr. Colin Cannonier
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - Louisiana State University, Economics
- M.Sc. - Louisiana State University, Economics
- M. A. - Williams College, Development Economics
- B.Sc. - University of the West Indies, Business, Economics and Social Statistics
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Belmont University
- Instructor, Louisiana State University
- Balance of Payments Economist and Statistician, Eastern Caribbean Central Bank, St. Kitts
- Country Economist, Eastern Caribbean Central Bank, St. Kitts
- Statistician (Internship), Ministry of Sustainable Development, St. Kitts
- "Does the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Increase Fertility Behavior?" Journal of Labor Research, June 2014, Volume 35, Issue 2, pp. 105-132, DOI: 10.1007/s12122-014-9181-9.
- "20-Over Versus 50-Over Cricket: Is There a Difference?" with Bibhudutta Panda and Sudipta Sarangi. Journal of Sports Economics, September 24, 2013, DOI: 10.1177/1527002513505284.
- "State Abstinence Education Programs and Teen Birth Rates in the U.S.," Review of Economics of the Household, March 2012, Volume 10, Issue 1, pp. 53-75. DOI: 10.1007/s11150-011-9131-8.
- "The Impact of Education on Health Knowledge," with Naci Mocan and Duha Altindag (NBER Working Paper No: 16422). Economics of Education Review, October 2011, Volume 30, Issue 5, pp. 792-812. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbr.2011.03.031.
- "Foreign Direct Investment and Trade in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union" with Brian Francis and Troy Lorde. Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies, March 2007, Volume 32, Issue 3, pp. 23-49.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Huel Perkins Fellowship, Louisiana State University
- Graduate Teaching Assistantships, Louisiana State University and University of Virginia
- Joint Japan/World Bank Scholarship for graduate studies at Williams College
- Career Dynamics Role Model Award, Eastern Caribbean Central Bank, St. Kitts
Dr. Cannonier’s professional experience includes work as the Balance of Payments (BOP) Economist and Statistician at Eastern Caribbean Central Bank where he undertook missions to assist national BOP compilers in member countries and pursued development work in BOP. In addition, he also worked as the Country Economist for Anguilla, St Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
His scholarly work has been published in Economics of Education Review, Journal of Labor Research, Review of Economics of the Household, and Journal of Sports Economics. He has presented his research at the American Economic Association annual meetings, the Southern Economic Association, European Economic Association, European Society for Population Economics and the National Bureau of Economic Research Summer Institute. Dr. Cannonier's research has also been featured in popular outlets such as the Harvard Business Review and UNESCO.
Cannonier’s awards include the Huel Perkins Fellowship from Louisiana State University, Joint Japan /World Band Scholarship for graduate studies at Williams College, and a Certificate of Outstanding Achievement in Cricket from the University of the West Indies, Jamaica. He also has the distinction of representing his country in two sports: cricket and soccer.