FERPA and Access to Student Data
Your use of software supported by Administrative Computing and Instructional Technology (ACIT) assumes that you are aware of the university's obligations under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). For clarification on this topic, please view the FERPA tutorial available from the HR website.
FERPA is federal legislation that Belmont University employees are required to follow. Because Banner offers access to student data, it is very important that you understand our responsibilities under FERPA.
- Complete the FERPA tutorial.
- Request Access to Banner.
- Talk to your supervisor about how Banner is used in your job. Take notes during the meeting.
- Download and review the Banner Documentation you need.
- Practice. Use the Banner training instance to work with 'fake' data. Access Banner's training instance using Internet Explorer at Banner TRNG_DEV. Log in with your personal username and password.
- Go live. Use the Banner production instance to work with 'real' data. Access Banner's production instance using Internet Explorer at Banner Prod. Log in with your personal username and password.
- If you think you need further help using Banner, then request a consultation with the Banner trainer.
What version of Banner® Forms are we currently running?
8.4.2 is the version of Banner General that is running currently. Module-specific version numbers can be found by logging into Banner and clicking Help / About Banner. Version numbers often vary among modules.