1) Applicants must have at least one year of work experience as a fully credentialed occupational therapy assistant or physical therapy assistant working with an occupational therapist (OTR).
2) Candidates must have completed a minimum of 90 semester equivalent credits from a regionally accredited college or university. A minimum overall grade point average of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in coursework from the most recent 90 semester credits is required.
3) Candidates must achieve a grade of “B” or better on all prerequisite courses, each which must have been completed at a regionally accredited college or university. All prerequisite coursework must be completed by the end of the spring semester prior to enrollment and within the previous 8 years*. Preference is given to applicants who have completed all prerequisites prior to application. Required prerequisites include:
|Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab||May also be satisfied with Human Anatomy with lab|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab||May also be satisfied with Human Physiology with lab|
|Statistics||A statistics course from a math department or psychology department|
|Human Growth & Development||A human development course in psychology as long as it covers the life span.|
|Introduction to Psychology|
|Introduction to Sociology
Intro. to Anthropology
|Either course will satisfy this requirement.|
|6 semester credits of Communication courses||Includes courses in writing or public speaking.|
*The Admissions Committee may waive the "8 year" requirement for some prerequisites if you have been continually employed as an occupational therapy or physical therapy assistant since the completion of your OTA or PTA program. The Committee will consider such an appeal only after you have completed your application for admission to the MSOT program with all supporting documents submitted.
4) At least one of the two recommendations required for application must be from a licensed occupational therapist.
5) Candidates must complete a Personal Essay answering the questions listed on the application. For a scoring rubric detailing what the admissions committee will be looking for, please CLICK HERE.
6) Candidates who are physical therapy assistants must demonstrate familiarity with occupational therapy through completion of a minimum of 50 hours of observational, volunteer or work experiences with an occupational therapist (OTR).